Sorting out my year abroad has been a turbulent process to say the least. However, a lot of emails, multiple changed plans and a few near-breakdowns later, I finally know what I’m doing with my life (well, for next year at least).
I am so excited to say that I will be moving to the French City of Toulouse and spending the year studying at the Université Toulouse- Jean Jaurès!!
Admittedly, this was not originally my plan and I was actually dead-set against studying at first. After reading online about a girl who secured an internship for ELLE magazine during her year abroad, I had envisioned (perhaps naively) myself spending the year in Paris and doing a similar thing. Long story short, after being met with perpetual silence after sending out a billion cover letters, CVs and job applications, my deadline was approaching quickly and so I accepted defeat. Without a doubt, working for a company such as ELLE would have been a dream, however as the days went by and I applied to more jobs out of stress, I realised that I was straying increasingly far away from my original plans, applying internships that I actually wouldn’t even enjoy.
So, I don’t view it as giving up per se, I actually see this change of heart as lifting a weight off my shoulders. I still firmly believe in the cliché that everything happens for a reason and so I suppose it wasn’t meant to be, and hopefully there’s something wonderful waiting for me in Toulouse. Despite my former aversion to studying, I am actually more excited for my year abroad now than I have ever been and I can’t wait to see what the year holds for me!
These are 5 reasons why I’m super excited for my French adventure
- Toulouse is currently one of the BEST cities for studying in France, with 40,000 students and great nightlife.
- I will have free time to travel. Toulouse is right next to the Pyrenees mountain range and you can travel to Mediterranean beaches in just an hour!
- I’m going with my best friend! By a happy coincidence, my housemate is also going to study at Toulouse and it feels amazing to know that I will have one of my closest friends with me for the year.
- I will FINALLY be able to say that I’m fluent in French.
- I can escape the morbid English weather in exchange for a city known for its sunshine and long summer season- I might actually be able to dedicate myself to getting a banging tan.
So, plans have changed, and hopefully one day I will still be able to get that dream internship, but for now I have a great feeling about what’s in store for me next year. I’m pleased to say that I feel more positive than ever at the moment and I can’t wait to share all my year abroad experiences on here with you!